The sorts of drain cleaning solutions available at grocery shops and hardware stores are useless in the vast majority of cases of residential drain blockages, according to the EPA. Drain cleaning chemicals, on the other hand, are hazardous to use and keep in the house. The caustic compounds included in the most popular drain cleaning products, such as Lye, Hydrochloric Acid, Sulfuric Acid, and Trichloroethane, are among the most widely used.
It is possible that the corrosive impact of chemical drain cleaners will cause more harm than good if they are used frequently, left to sit in drains for long periods of time, or if your drain pipes are old and in need of replacement.
Cast iron, galvanized, and PVC pipe and plumbing joints are all corroded by chemical drain cleaners because they contain strong chemicals that are toxic to the human body. In certain cases, these chemicals can corrode your plumbing more quickly than they can dissolve the clog-causing items such as oil, hair, food particles, paper products, and other things that block the drain.
The majority of the time, drain lines that have become highly blocked with hair, soap residue, grease, food items, sludge, and paper products need a more thorough cleaning than chemical drain cleaners can give. The most effective course of action is to contact a plumber who handles drain cleaning to examine the situation and determine which mechanical drain cleaning solutions are most appropriate for your needs.
There are a variety of drain cleaning instruments available for your experienced plumbing professionals to use in order to give a comprehensive drain cleaning solution. Hydro-Jetting may also be advised for blockages in sewage lines and home drains that are particularly difficult and recurrent.
There Are Many Reasons to Avoid Chemical Drain Cleaners
Some of the many reasons to avoid chemical drain cleaners include:
- Contact with the chemicals can cause skin irritation as well as chemical burns
- The potential for acute and chronic respiratory irritation and injury as a result of inhaling harmful gases produced by chemical reactions
- The potential for inflammation and injury to the eyes caused by sudden splashing or bursting from drainage pipes
- Kitchen and bath fixtures, as well as drain lines, can become damaged
- The negative influence on the environment
- The dangers of keeping highly reactive and hazardous substances
- Drain cleaners that include chemical agents can kill “good” bacteria that are necessary to keep your septic system running correctly
The bottom line is that if you need your drains cleaned, we strongly recommend you do so with the help of an experienced plumber. To get that help, contact Preferred Plumbing and Rooter Service at (877) 298-8105.